Saturday 29 September 2012

Tickling our taste buds !

In science we have been exploring our senses.  We conducted a taste investigation to identify the tastes of sweet, bitter, sour and salty.  The children had to taste four foods and decide which taste their taste buds could detect.  The lemon juice left quite a lasting impression on the children and the chocolate that turned out not to be sweet after all!!!

Can you identify the objects using your sense of touch?


Can you play a game that uses your sense of hearing?



The lemon juice was very sour !!!

People having a drink after the bitter chocolate although some
children thought it was very nice !!



Chomping on a sweet fruit pastille to make up for the lemon juice.

We held our noses when we tasted foods to see how it affected our
sense of taste.......it certainly helped with the lemon juice !!


That was great fun year 1 and you were all so fantastic at tasting all of the foods.  Can you let me know if you have any more great taste sensations.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Year 1,

    It looks as though you all had fun with science, a favourite subject of mine. Isn't it amazing everything we know about our world comes from our five senses?

    We taste, feel, hear, touch and smell the world and our mind tells us all of the clues we need to know what we sense. I have a taste sensation experience to share...

    I always enjoy going to the local cinema. I'm well known there as their number one customer. The staff know my next stop after buying a ticket is the candy counter. They know I will always buy a choc top ice cream. They never ask which flavour I want because they know I like all five. They choose one for me.

    I take my seat in the cinema. I hold the ice cream (touch), I see the ice cream (sight), heard it taken from the freezer (sound) and smelt the smells of the candy counter and popcorn cooking (smell) but I haven’t tasted the ice cream. The chocolate covers the ice cream so I don’t know what flavour is waiting.

    Finally, the lights go down in the cinema. I remove the ice cream wrapping in the dark and take a bite. Finally my fifth sense, taste, comes in. Today it was boysenberry, next time I won’t know until the lights go down. The ice cream tastes all the better because it was a taste surprise.

    @RossMannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun day of experimenting you all had Year One. Your facial expressions give us lots of clues as to what you thought of the various tastes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a fun lesson Year 1!

    What were your favourite foods?

    Did anyone prefer the dark chocolate to milk chocolate?

    Lemon juice is one of my favourite drinks, how many of you liked it?

    ReplyDelete